This homemade ice cream cake recipe is not only easy to make, but it’s also way cheaper than buying ice cream cake from your local store.
And it gets better. Making ice cream cake at home is easy, cheap, AND completely customizable. For example, my husband is a huge fan of praline ice cream and vanilla cake. So those are usually my two base ingredients. And his favorite toppings include caramel, walnuts, whipped cream, and chocolate chips.
I personally like a bit of chocolate so I can make an ice cream cake for myself with chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream with whatever toppings I want.
- 1 First Time Making Homemade Ice Cream Cake
- 2 Ice Cream Cake Recipe Supplies
- 3 Ice Cream Cake Recipe Made Easy
- 3.1 11 Easy Steps
- 3.1.1 1. Spray oil on one of the cake pans
- 3.1.2 2. Mix the cake ingredients
- 3.1.3 3. Put the cake in the preheated oven for however long the instructions on the box says
- 3.1.4 4. Tear off enough parchment paper to put on the other baking pan
- 3.1.5 5. Scoop out and spread your semi-thawed ice cream on the parchment paper
- 3.1.6 6. Place the pan with the ice cream in the freezer while your cake (if ready) cools off on the counter
- 3.1.7 7. Check the ice cream in the freezer to feel if it’s frozen (if it’s mushy even the slightest bit, wait longer)
- 3.1.8 8. Transfer the cake onto another plate (you might need to slice the rounded top off if it’s not flat)
- 3.1.9 9. Add your toppings to the cake before adding the ice cream layer
- 3.1.10 10. Scoop out and spread the cool ship around and on top of the ice cream cake
- 3.1.11 11. Add the rest of your toppings and design your cake
- 3.1 11 Easy Steps
- 4 #SorryNotSorry
First Time Making Homemade Ice Cream Cake
The first homemade ice cream cake I ever made was for my husband’s 28th birthday. I wasn’t nearly as adventurous as I am now (since I know what I’m kind of doing now ha!). The only toppings I included in my very first homemade ice cream cake was caramel syrup and walnuts.
I’ve always loved ice cream cake. I’d say that was and still currently is, my favorite type of cake. And I got the basic ingredients and recipe idea from I Wash You Dry’s Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Cake.
You can spot the caramel syrup oozing out of the two layers! And this is how your homemade ice cream cake will look before you slap cool whip all over the top and sides of the cake.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Supplies
1. 9-inch Baking Pans (2)
2. Parchment Paper
3. An Oven
4. A Bowl (and something to mix the cake ingredients)
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Ingredients
1. Cake Mix
I HIGHLY recommend you NOT choose Angel Cake mix. It will be rock hard after being in the freezer (trust me, I’ve tried it).
And DO NOT FORGET the ingredients for your cake mix such as an egg, water, milk, etc.
2. Tub of Ice Cream
I use up the whole entire tub of ice cream every time I make ice cream cake. Therefore, you’ll need more than just a pint of ice cream.
Be sure to either get cool whip OR icing for the outside of the cake.
I’m more of a “whipped cream” and “cool whip” type of gal. My cakes don’t look as pretty as it would if I made them with icing. But how it tastes is more important to me than how it looks.
Ice Cream Cake Toppings:
- Chocolate, caramel, or fudge syrup
- Chocolate chips
- Nuts (walnuts, pecans, peanuts, etc.)
- Crumbled up cookies, oreo, or graham crackers
- Bits and pieces of candy, peppermint, etc.
I literally just branched off from making the same ‘ole praline ice cream cake (that my husband is obsessed with). But these are some of the ugly designs I put together for different events such as his birthday, army school graduation (SLC), our anniversary, and also, when I just felt like making a cake (lol!).
I messed this one up so bad (don’t judge). But check out the inside though (*insert drool face).
This one’s semi-cute. I maybe put in like 20% of my effort in “designing” the cakes that’s going to get demolished in 2 seconds.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Made Easy
This recipe is super easy. However, it’s going to take some time. With this being said, there are a few things you should know:
- Preheat the oven to whatever the instructions on the cake box you’re using says
- Grab all of your supplies and ingredients
- Leave the tub of ice cream to thaw a little (so that it’s easier to mold into one of the cake pans)
- Put the cool whip in the fridge
11 Easy Steps
Note: I made two cakes at the same time so disregard that.
1. Spray oil on one of the cake pans
2. Mix the cake ingredients
I made my husband’s usual praline ice cream cake with vanilla cake mix.
But I wanted to try something new like a chocolate bunny track ice cream cake.
3. Put the cake in the preheated oven for however long the instructions on the box says
4. Tear off enough parchment paper to put on the other baking pan
Remember, I was making two ice cream cakes (disregard the second pan).
5. Scoop out and spread your semi-thawed ice cream on the parchment paper
6. Place the pan with the ice cream in the freezer while your cake (if ready) cools off on the counter
Allow like an hour or two to pass.
7. Check the ice cream in the freezer to feel if it’s frozen (if it’s mushy even the slightest bit, wait longer)
8. Transfer the cake onto another plate (you might need to slice the rounded top off if it’s not flat)
9. Add your toppings to the cake before adding the ice cream layer
As shown above.
10. Scoop out and spread the cool ship around and on top of the ice cream cake
11. Add the rest of your toppings and design your cake
Lastly, place your homemade ice cream cake in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
Because you’re going to want to make this over and over again. It’s literally so easy and cheap! As much as our physical health is important, it’s also important to take care of our mental health. And what better way to spark your mood than with ice cream cake!
A few adjustments to make this ice cream cake recipe a bit healthier:
- Replace with sugar-free toppings
- There are sugar-free or low-calorie ice cream options
- Fewer toppings = fewer additional calories
If anything, just eat a small slice every other day after a good workout. It’s all about balance and eating sweets in moderation. But there’s also nothing wrong with indulging from time to time.
Whatever you choose to do, enjoy this homemade ice cream cake made easy JUST for you. Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below.